Living Wage for Families Campaign Organizer
Full time position (35 hours/week), including evening and weekend work, as necessary
Location: First Call office, downtown Vancouver
First Call is a dynamic, non-partisan coalition of over 100 provincial and regional partner organizations in British Columbia committed to strengthening support for the well-being of children and youth in BC. Through public education, community mobilization and public policy advocacy, our non-profit coalition aims to ensure children and youth receive “first call” on society’s resources and their rights are understood and respected. (See www.firstcallbc.org for more information.)
Building on our work monitoring child poverty levels in BC, since 2009 First Call has hosted the Living Wage for Families Campaign to address the high proportion of children who live with parents/caregivers in the paid workforce whose wages are insufficient to lift their families out of poverty. In collaboration with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives and other partners, the Living Wage is recalculated annually based on the earnings needed to allow a household to meet its basic needs, after government transfers are taken into account. The campaign has certified over 100 living wage employers to date.
Overall accountability for the day-to-day operations of the Living Wage for Families Campaign to achieve agreed-upon campaign objectives as laid out in annual campaign/program plan.
• Plan, develop, coordinate, and implement strategic campaign options and priorities, in consultation with the Living Wage Advisory Committee.
• Develop and support specific strategies to achieve objectives of selected sector or industry or employer-specific campaign goals, including guiding employers through the living wage certification process and the broadest community involvement.
• Oversee a funded research project on low wage work.
• Build and support partnerships with related campaigns and other organizations working on economic inequality issues.
• Maximize resources by managing annual budget and identifying, developing and pursuing funding opportunities.
• Support and supervise Campaign Assistant.
Skills and Experience
• At least five years of relevant work experience.
• Experience in campaign development, community organizing, project management and/or advocacy on social justice issues, with demonstrated results.
• Experience working with coalitions and/or employer or business networks and diverse stakeholders
• Passion for achieving social and economic justice for families and their children, coupled with knowledge of the socio-economic issues affecting them
• Interest in working with employers to build positive relationships to achieve poverty reduction
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong analytical and strategic thinking capabilities
• Excellent organizational and planning skills
• Proven project management and time management skills
• Experience working with the media
• Highly-developed and effective interpersonal skills
• Relevant degree an asset
• Proficiency in basic computer applications, including basic proficiency in major social media platforms, e.g. Twitter and Facebook
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter, including a summary of your qualifications and success to date, and outlining why you would like to work with the Living Wage for Families Campaign to [email protected] Please include your name and “Living Wage posting” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications is Friday July 13th, 2018
Annual Salary range: $56,000 – $62,000, depending on experience, plus a full benefit package.
We thank everyone for their interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.